Thursday, September 24, 2009

Long Week

These past two weeks have been so crazy. I think it has a lot to do with the rain. I finally got caught up on laundry which NEVER happens and I was able to spend a little time working on cake stuff. yay. Thankfully all of this happened before Harrison got sick. We went to his Wee Gym class at the YMCA and as we were leaving, I noticed that he felt hot. A quick check of his temp when we got home revealed that he had a fever of 102.4! His pediatrician said to try to get it down with tylenol and if it wouldn't break, I should take him to the ER or bring him in to the office the next morning. Fortunatly, the medicine worked and as soon as his fever was gone, he was back to normal. He had fever on and of the next day but the doc didn't seem too concerned because it stayed down if Harrison was taking tylenol.

So during his bath that night I noticed a really bad rash on his bottom. Five full tubes of boudreauxs butt paste can attest to the fact that he never gets diaper rash. As I was lubing him down with his array of sensetive skin/eczema preventing/scar healing lotions I noticed the tiny red spots on the back of his knees...then his ankle...then his foot. This is not good. It was at this point that I did what I always do-yell for my husband. He agrees with my expert diagnosis that this is in fact very very bad and we should wrap Harrison up in his towel and run him across the street to our good friend and nurse in training Sarah. She will have the answer!!! After searching many large books and coming up with nothing, we turned to the trusty old internet( i love you internet...you hardly ever let me down) and within minutes, she had an answer. Hand,Foot & Mouth disease...wait, what!?! Are you kidding me? That just sounded horrible. Apparently it is just a virus and will run its course. The rash does not itch and the fever only lasts the first 48 hours. So I made him an appointment for Monday just to make sure.

Meanwhile, we had a pretty good weekend. The fair was in town,we went to the teddy bear picnic at the library and stopped by the family expo at the museum. It was quite eventful ,but by Sunday afternoon, we were all ready for the weekend to come back around so we could just relax.

1 comment: