Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Livestrong Challenge Austin 2009


My internet was down for 2 days! I was going crazy. I could access my blog on my phone but I couldn't upload a picture so I was especially upset about missing my Sunday post. The good news is that Monty(my hubby)is finally home. hooray! The kids and I were pleasantly surprised when he came home a bit early last night. I wasn't expecting him for another hour or so and as I was coming out of Harrison's room he was almost to the top of the stairs and I almost pushed him back down them. He was exhausted so I didn't get to hear too much about his trip but he did show me a few pictures.


 I don't think I mentioned it but he was in Texas for the Livestrong Challenge. He has been biking for years and is a huge Lance Armstrong fan so he was thrilled to have the chance to go down to Austin and ride in the 2009 Livestrong Challenge. He left on Wed. with his brother, mom and pops and they arrived in Austin on Friday morning. He told me that there were tons of people there but it was surprisingly calm and orderly. He got registered and went around to visit the different vendors stands. He was super excited to go to Mellow Johnny's Bike Shop which is owned by Lance and the women's breast cancer awareness tent.

 We have had some close calls with cancer and this is a cause that is very dear to our hearts. We really hope to take the whole family down next year so we all can be involved. Monty ran in the 5k run on Saturday morning along with about 2500 other people. He finished in just under 25 minutes and was able to relax the rest of the day as the bike portion didn't start until the next day. Sunday morning came early as they had to check in at 7 a.m. for the 8 o'clock start. He biked the 45 miles in 2 hours and 40 minutes. It wasn't a race so each entrant kept their own times but he was pretty happy with his time. He stopped a few times to help his brother who had a horrible time with cramping and at one point couldn't even bend his leg. They both pulled through and crossed the finish line. I am so proud of them both.


 As I said before, Chloe and I want to go next year and do at least the bike portion. The challenge is open to all ages and they have everything from a 5k walk/run to a 90mile bike race. The only problem we might encounter is that each entrant is required to come up with a $250 donation to enter. I guess if we have a year, it shouldn't be too hard.
 Hope you all are having a great week!    

No comments:

Post a Comment